Quiche with Cheddar Pastry
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 2/3 cup cold shortening, grated
- 6 tablespoons ice water
- Preheat oven to 375 F / 190 C
- Stir flour, salt, and sugar together in a mixing bowl.
- Grate cheese and cold shortening into flour mixture. Stir to coat well with flour mixture.
- Stir in ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until pastry comes together into a smooth ball.
- Flatten into a disc.
- Lightly flour pastry mat or counter. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-inch pie plate.
- Roll pastry around rolling pin. Lay rolling pin on top of pie-plate and unroll to drape pastry over pie plate.
- Press pastry into pie plate, cut off excess dough, and flute edges.
- Bake empty shell for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool. While shell bakes, start on the filling.
- 8 strips bacon
- 5 large eggs
- 1 1/1 cup half and half (light cream)
- ¼ teaspoon dried tarragon
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, finely chopped
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ½ cup Swiss cheese, grated
- Pancetta-style bacon for garnish (optional)
- Fry bacon until crisp. Place on a paper towel to absorb extra grease. Chop bacon into small pieces and set aside.
- Beat together eggs, half and half, and spices until frothy.
- Stir in green onions and spinach.
- Place crumbled bacon on the bottom of the partially baked pastry shell. Top with cheddar cheese and then Swiss cheese.
- Pour egg mixture over all.
- Bake quiche in preheated 375 F / 190 C oven for 40 minutes. To check for doneness, insert a knife into the center. Knife will come out clean when done.
Recipe from Mennonite Girls Can Cook Celebrations